Friday, June 12, 2009

Hypogastric Nerve Block

To sum it all up....unsuccessful.  Bummer!  Today I had a hypogastric nerve block to try to help my pelvic pain.  In simple terms, you lay on your stomach, they inject needles on either side of your spine in your lower back and inject anesthetic around the sympathetic nerves which supply the organs in your pelvis and are located on either side of the spine in the lower abdomen. 

They take their sweet time during this procedure because there are lots of tiny blood vessels down there that they do not want to touch but other than a few painful moments, this was really not that bad of a procedure.  If you're going to have it, it's really not that uncomfortable.  I've had two prior nerve blocks in the groin area and those were indescribable pain so I was expecting something similar.  This was nothing like that.  The only negative was that they use a very small amount of dye (aka Radiation) to ensure something...I don't remember what...the right spot, no blood vessels, I don't know....but I've had lots of radiation at this point so I've been trying to avoid that.  

The injection sites were very sore so I took a Vicodin HP - wow, that stuff is really effective! Does absolutely squat for my pelvic pain but within like 15 minutes my injection sites didn't hurt anymore and they had been feeling really, really sore. 

I did get the chance to speak to two of the pain clinic docs for quite some time and I have an appointment next week so I'm feeling good that I'm going to get some kind of plan next week whether it be new drugs to try or new nerve blocks to try, something - I hope.  Because as of now, the neurologists referral of me to a surgeon for an "exploratory surgery" of the genitofemoral nerve in my abdominal wall is definitely NOT the next step for me.  So Jeanne, your comment to a prior post is very timely, appreciated and taken to heart because one of my doctor's was very quick to say oh you have to open things up and look around and if there's a problem with the nerve we may just have to cut it - like it was no big deal.  Clearly it is and your comment is certainly staying in my mind.  So thank you for posting.   



8 comments:

  1. Hang in there! We love looking at your pirate pictures on the boys bedroom walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I am sorry that your most recent procedure was not as effective as you had hoped. Next week sounds promising though! You are definitely on my mind a lot these days. Oh, and if you feel like doing more artwork I would really love my own pirate picture. The one you posted was awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been suffering from pelvic pain for years. I am 28 and have seen several ob/gyn and no one has been able to tell me why. I have started pain management and the doctor suggested a hypogastic nerve block. I am unsure if I should do it. did it help at all? Have you tried other treatments that have been succesful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never go to my doctor anymore asking for pain killers prescription and then be turned down at the end, all I do is order online from www.medsheaven.com hassle free and low cost, they have three pain killers listed on their website which are ultram tramadol celebrex that you buy, and the best part is no prescription required!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant beleive iv found this site, i too have had my life turned upside down over my pelvic pain everyother doctor iv seen has been nothing but a dissapointment only offering useless painkillers and antidepressants!Why im not im in pain its been 4 yrs.Yesterday they offered me the nerve block treatment il try anything at this stage..Iv got 4 young children which im so lucky to have but they miss playing with mammy!!!Im happy to read all ur comments as i now know they cant tell me anymore that its all in my head......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going for a hypogastric nerve block on 8/12/10. I had a celiac nerve block in June... Although it helped my pain some, I've suffered from severe pain on my left side since my gallbladder surgery went bad on 4/01 when my aorta was punctured during my gallbladder extraction. I'm glad to be alive but never could have imagined the pain I would endure. My undying hope for relief keeps me believing that this procedure will be "the one" to stop the pain! My sympathy and best wishes to all searching for a cure to their pain. This past decade, by far, has been my heaviest cross to bear. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am 41 years of age and i had a vaginal hysterectomy Feb 28 2009 and i have been having chronic pelvic pain and bladder problems and i have muscle spasm every since the surgery so i been in therapy for 7 months now and no relief been on all kinds of pain and bladder medicine nothing is helping me so my urologist is sending me too the aneshiaologist for a nerve block so i am nervous because if the nerve block dont work i am gonna have to have a pain pump put in me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I can't believe I found this site. I had back surgery two years ago and ended up with severe nerve damage/pain. The doctor put in cages that were two big for my body frame. To make a very long story short, I have two more back surgeries to fix the mess, and now I have severe pelvic pain--vaginal, groin, buttocks, and back of my legs. I can't sit more than 10 minutes. Life your lives, mine has been turned upside down. I have tried everything (including 4 nerve blocks.) They didn't work!!! I don't take pain medications because I'm allergic to most and they make me depressed so I take mega doses of Gabapentin (Neurotin) which helps some, but some days are unbearable. I was scheduled to have a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted until I heard about the risks, and I canceled the surgery. Surgery scares the hell out of me. I am now seeing a Chiropractor/Holistic doctor. He's giving me hope, so I'll keep you all posted. Thank you for sharing your stories. Sandy sandra1207@q.com

    ReplyDelete